About Me

My photo
Clayton here. Here is a little about me. My favorite color is orange. I wish everything in my life was orange. Including my car and phone. (R.I.P.) I love text messaging and don't really like talking on the phone. My favorite drink in the entire world is Dr. Pepper. I'm pretty sure God gave it to the world because he loves us. (Add a little coconut rum, it makes it even better. If that's even possible.) I work in Human Resources at a hotel in downtown SLC. I'm addicted to reality TV. Especially Survivor, American Idol and So You Think You Can Dance. I love Mr. Potato Head, as you can probably tell. What else... Oh yeah I'm gay and have an AMAZING husband, Paul. ILY!!

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Lucky 13?

So as many of you know I have been waiting to hear back from the Grand America about a position I applied for a few weeks ago. The position is Banquet Administrative Assistant. It would be a high-paced, constantly changing job that would keep me busy. A problem I don't currently face where I'm working now. I was first contacted by the banquet department on Tuesday, March 11, 2008. I did a phone interview with Robb Baron, the Assistant Banquet Director. He scheduled me for an interview on Saturday, March 22. I showed up for my interview and met with Robb and Corey, Banquet Director. The interview went extremely well (I thought) and it even ended with Corey and Robb giving me a tour of their meeting rooms and the office that I would be working in. They called me back the following Wednesday and we scheduled my second interview for Saturday, March 29. I show up on the 29th and met with 2 sales managers, 2 banquet captains and the pm admin person. They were all really nice and again I felt like the interviews went well. Afterwards Robb told me they would be making their decision by the end of the week and that I should expect a phone call either Thursday or Friday. When I hadn't received a phone call by the time I left work on Friday, April 4 I decided I should call and remind them how awesome I am and that the choice was really easier than they were making it. Robb said they hadn't had time to decide and that they would let me know. I waited "patiently" all weekend and didn't hear any news. So I waited til I left work Monday, April 7 and called again. Still the answer was undecided but this time at least Robb told me he had been out of town over the weekend and thus caused the undecision. He assured me that he and Corey would both be back in the office on Tuesday and that I should be expecting a phone call. I waited all day and still heard nothing. I decided to lay off one day and not call back. Then about 9:16 this morning a buzz buzz started on my desk. I didn't answer but referenced the business card I have and noticed that the first 3 numbers after the area code were the same as the number that was calling me!! Finally a call back. I listened to the voicemail and Corey explained that he would like me to return the call so we can discuss some things. (In the back of my mind I started celebrating because if the answer was no a voicemail was an easy way to get out of having to break the bad news to someone while they are on the phone.) So I hustle off into one of the stairwells at the hotel and dial Corey's number. He starts with a nice warm greeting asking how I'm doing. Then asks how I think my interviews were. I respond with I feel like they all went quite well. He confirmed that everyone I had met with did infact like me but that they were going with the other candidate however. (Who uncrossed their fingers?) I try to stay professional as he explains that the other persons transition into the department would be easier considering they already work at the property. He continues by saying that he wishes there were another position available that he could place me in. (I just want to hang up.) I listen to his "rambling" (as he called it) and tried to come across as the most gracious loser I could possibly be. (I think I pulled it off.) Immediately after I hang up I call Paul and give him the news. Now we don't have to worry about our room reservations in California for Disneyland. I have now been turned down 13 times in a row. I still work at the Hampton Inn & Suites in Orem. Lucky me.

1 comment:

Kylie Jo said...

Clayt I'm so sotty that you didn't get the job! I love you and I know you will find your perfect job soon. I do however have to say I'm glad our hotel room is going to be ok. I just wish they hadn't made their decision until after Disneyland